- The 42nd Annual Fall Program, October 26, 2018 in San Francisco
- The Third Edition of the Guide to the California Rules of Professional Conduct for Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Counsel Is Available to Trusts and Estates Section Members at a Special Price
- The Educating Seniors Project Seeks Volunteer Attorneys for Speakers Bureau
- Trusts and Estates Section on the Radio
- Member Benefits from the Trusts and Estates Section
- Advance Care Health Directive
- Save Money with CEB
The 42nd Annual Fall Program
Earn 5.75 Hours MCLE Credit
Includes Legal Ethics and Legal Specialization
Friday, October 26, 2018
The State Bar of California
180 Howard Street
San Francisco, CA 94104
Updated Ethics Guide
The Third Edition of the Guide to the California Rules of Professional Conduct for Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Counsel Is Available to Trusts and Estates Section Members at a Special Price
Neither the California Rules of Professional Responsibility nor the ABA Model Rules of Professional Conduct provide adequate guidance to California practicing trusts and estates lawyers. The Third Edition of the Guide to the California Rules of Professional Conduct for Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Counsel is offered by the Executive Committee of the Trusts and Estates Section to provide both general and fact-specific guidance to California trusts and estates lawyers facing common and unusual ethical issues and problems, with an emphasis on application of California-specific rules. The Third Edition replaces the Second Edition, which was released in 2007, and has been updated to reflect the current state of the law, including by way of example changes in the Care Custodian area and evolving social media issues. The updated Guide is an essential addition to the library of every California trust and estate lawyer.
The retail price for the Guide is $85.00. However, the Trusts and Estates Section offers the Guide to Section members at a reduced price of $40.00.
Go to our Sections Bookstore and click on “Trusts and Estates Section”.
The Educating Seniors Project Seeks Volunteer Attorneys for Speakers Bureau
Educating Seniors Project Seeks Volunteer Attorneys for Speakers Bureau
The Trusts and Estates Section of the State Bar of California is pleased to announce that its Educating Seniors Project (ESP) has a new website: www.educatingseniors.org. ESP is seeking qualified California attorneys with a passion for helping seniors preserve and protect their independence by giving occasional presentations to seniors on issues of pressing concern, such as:
- Financial scams targeting seniors, and how to avoid them;
- Estate planning needs unique to seniors;
- Detection and prevention of financial elder abuse; and
- What seniors can do to live independently in their home for as long as possible.
If you are a trusts and estates attorney interested in participating in training to become a part of the ESP Speakers Bureau, and have the flexibility in your schedule to spare an occasional morning or afternoon to speak to seniors about trusts and estates issues, or if you would just like to learn more about the Educating Seniors Project, please contact us at TrustsAndEstates@cla.legal.
Trusts and Estates Section on the Radio
Radio station KALW regularly broadcasts “Your Legal Rights,” a show in which callers can ask questions of attorneys with expertise in different areas of the law.
- Listen Now to Update of Medi-Cal, and Medi-Cal for Long Term Care – February 8, 2017
- Listen Now to Leaving Your Home to Your Child/Children: Will the Proposition 13 Tax Basis Be Passed on from Parent to Child? – February 1, 2017
- Listen Now to Elder Care Facility Abuse: Litigation & Estate Planning for Elder Protection – December 7, 2016
- Listen Now to Major medical and legal issues regarding Alzheimer’s Disease – June 15, 2016
- Listen Now to Tips on How to Avoid Elder Financial Abuse – April 27, 2016
- Listen Now to Social Security Disability Law – March 23, 2016
- Listen Now to Estate Planning — A Discussion of POLSTs, aired January 20, 2016.
- Listen Now to the State Bar’s publication, “Seniors & the Law: A Guide for Maturing Californians” — Aired on September 2, 2015
- Listen Now to Living Trusts — Aired on July 15, 2015
- Listen Now to The Educating Seniors Project of the Trusts & Estates Section of the State Bar — Aired on Feb. 18, 2015
- Listen Now to A Refresher on Estate Planning — Aired on Dec. 31, 2014
- Listen Now to Estate Planning for your Golden Years, Program 2 — Aired on September 17, 2014
- Listen Now to Estate Planning for your Golden Years, Program 1 — Aired on July 16, 2014
- Listen Now to Further “Discussion of Basic Estate Planning Issues” — Aired on June 4, 2014.
- Listen Now to “Basic Estate Panning Issues” — Aired on April 30, 2014.
- Listen Now to “Medi-Cal Changes and Covered California” — Aired on April 9, 2014.
Member Benefits from the Trusts and Estates Section
All members of the Trusts and Estates Section receive the following benefits:
- A subscription to the California Trusts and Estates Quarterly
- New case alerts
- Discounts on the Trusts and Estates Section’s live CLE programs
- A reduced purchase price for the Guide to the California Rules of Professional Conduct for Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Counsel (the “Ethics Guide”)
- Members Only website
- Access to past issues of the Quarterly
- Six hours of online self-study MCLE credit at no charge
- Discounts on select CEB print and online publications
- A $95 discount on a purchase a Gold Passport or program from CEB — equivalent to your dues in the Section!
- Online catalog for Trusts and Estates Section education programs
- Access to Trusts and Estates social media
Advance Care Health Directive
The Advance Care Health Directive (Probate Code Section 4700-4701) is posted online on the State of California’s Official California Legislative Information Web site. The form provided in Section 4701 can be used to create an advance health care directive. The other sections of this division govern the effect of the form or any other writing used to create an advance health care directive. An individual may complete or modify all or any part of the form in Section 4701.
Toll Free Senior Information Line: 1 – 888 – 460-7364
The Trust and Estates Section has established an information line to assist you in reporting the activities of attorneys and non-attorneys involved in fraudulent activities against seniors in California. The State Bar of California is authorized to discipline attorneys who have participated in these activities and to pursue complaints against non-attorneys for the unauthorized practice of law. Because of our limited resources, however, we encourage you to also file complaints with other appropriate state agencies and law enforcement branches.
The number is: 1-888-460-7364. Please assist the Section in publicizing the availability of this service! For more resources, see Educating Seniors Speaker Bureau at Educating Seniors.
Save Money with CEB
Continuing Education of the Bar, California (CEB) is extending some special discount offers to our section. As a member of the Section, you’re eligible for:
- 10% off selected CEB print or online books
- A rebate on your section dues that can be applied to the cost of a CEB CLE Passport or a CLE program ticket
Information about the section dues rebate program can be found on the CEB Web site.
Trusts and Estates Section
California Lawyers Association
180 Howard St., Suite 450
San Francisco CA 94105